“New Schedule” And Its Issues

Laila Rodene

About two weeks ago a “draft” of next year’s schedule was released to staff members. Unfortunately, this schedule was leaked to students. Many students have had different things to say about the schedule and its changes. 

One of the bigger changes of this schedule is the new and improved 30 minute advisories. This is accompanied by the Tuesday and Friday Advisory being replaced with Hawk Block; therefore, separating the two Hawk Blocks for different days. Students felt the extension of Advisory was already a problem. Advisory tends to be used unproductive in many students’ experience. Most people just sit around and wait for the bell to ring. Since the beginning of the year, Advisory slides not being shown/shared by some teachers was a big issue. A student voice says, “I’m not sure who thought of the idea. It’s not productive at all.” Another says, “We don’t even do anything during Advisory. I don’t understand why they didn’t leave that part alone. I don’t think anyone complained about it?” 

Another issue with the proposed new schedule is the two minutes removed from passing time between class periods. This year, we’re given five minutes. With the new proposed schedule, we would have only three minutes. Lots of groans were heard when this was noticed, seeing as it can be hard to travel from the first, let alone the basement to the third floor and even second. “I think it’ll make a lot of people nervous. It’ll make them feel rushed, you know?” says Sona T. Knowing that some teachers enforce being late, that can definitely be nerve-racking. “The stairs here tend to take people out, let alone wear them out,” another student expressed. 

Although the new schedule has now been confirmed as just a failed draft, our staff are working on a new schedule. This is why we will be meeting with our guidance counselors to remove an elective from our 2022-23 schedule. I wish good luck to all with course selection redos and am waiting on a schedule update.