Finding Your College Match

Finding Your College Match

Jordan Kelley, Staff Writer

Applying to college  is stressful, expensive, and time consuming. Whether it’s hours spent on the Common App writing extra essays, talking to FAFSA for hours over what will be owed, or paying daily application fees, applying to schools takes a lot of effort and dedication.  It’s hard to think of what goes into “the perfect school”. It could be the education (which it should be) campus, food, activities, sports, or more. Each college has its own benefits. It could be their  reputation, affordability, internships, etc. Considering there’s so much to think about before deciding where you want to go, schools host open houses and one-on-one meetings to show you they understand your struggles and are here to help you through them.

At Waltham High School, students in 12th grade have waited their whole life for their senior year. Because they are finally able to choose where they’ve always hoped and dreamed their education would culminate. They’ve booked their campus tours, bought their sweatshirts and merch, and sent the deposit by commitment day. For me, it rolled into April and I’ve gone over and over all these questions in my head, and still can’t find the place that’ll be perfect for me. I’ve made charts comparing prices, resources, distance, and everything that goes into picking a college. Seeing schools range from $12,000 a year to $55,000 shocked me. For someone who wants to go to law school one day, I want affordability, but also somewhere that’ll give me the education to get into law school. The thought of going to a state school or private university is constantly playing tug of war in my brain. 

I recommend thinking of at least two of three things. Think of education. Is this where you are going to push yourself and your education to the maximum? Is this school going to get you that internship you want? Is this school great for what you want to go into after college? After thinking of the obvious, think of price.

— Jordan Kelly

Every school has their own pros and cons. Some schools may have the best programs, but the worst dorms and food. Some schools may have the best campus, but no internships or opportunities after college. No school is going to be perfect and you’ll find something to complain about everywhere. I recommend thinking of at least two of three things. Think of education. Is this where you are going to push yourself and your education to the maximum? Is this school going to get you that internship you want? Is this school great for what you want to go into after college? After thinking of the obvious, think of price because this should be another important factor. Is this school and its education worth the price? How much will I owe and how long will I be paying it back for? Think, am I getting what I’m paying for? After thinking about the two things that’ll mostly shape your future after college, think of the small and personal things that matter to you. Does this school have the school spirit I love to be a part of? Do they have that club or team  I want to join? How often am I going to be able to come home? There are thousands of questions you could ask yourself about college to make the perfect decision. May 1 rolled around and I made mine.