The Evolution of AfroBeats

Shifrah Nakazzi, Staff Writer

Afrobeats is digitally produced pop music originating from West Africa. In 2022-2023 AfroBeats finally started to boom and become popular in the United States. 

In my experience, dance programs often claim to teach all styles of dance, yet Afrobeats are not included. For example, at Waltham High School in the dance class Stage and Body, Afrobeats aren’t included, and it makes the class less fun for Africans. This excludes a whole part of our culture. I am part of a dance team called AfroDiamonds. We perform at many schools and universities every year. And when we go, it’s usually the first time those students are seeing and hearing Afrobeats. I think Afrobeats should be encouraged in schools because this shows support for African students. 

People should explore Afrobeats because it is really interesting, so different from mainstream “American” music styles for dance like ballet, hip hop, jazz, etc. Even though Afrobeats are comprised of many different languages such as English, West African, and pidgin, the beat, the vibe, and the energy connect us all. So it no longer matters if you understand the words or not. 

Burna Boy aka AFRICAN GIANT is one of the biggest African artists and a big contributor to Afrobeats. Burna Boy is one of the most talented African artists, and his music is trending worldwide. He is one of the reasons why Afrobeats are so popular in the United States right now. The U.S. has been one of the last countries to listen to his music and celebrate Afrobeats. It took years of African artists slowly collaborating with American artists to become famous and sell their music in the American market. Some collaborations include:  For my hand- Burna Boy ft. Ed Sheeran, Calm Down- Rema ft. Selena Gomez, Closer- Wizkid ft. Drake, Blow My Mind- Davido ft. Chris Brown…just to name a few.

— Shifrah Nakazzi

You may be wondering if this is important? Like who cares if Americans listen to Afrobeats, or if Burna Boy comes to the U.S. to perform? The U.S. music industry dominates the world music scene, so it basically sets the standard for everything, especially music. So if America ignores Afrobeats, then we aren’t taken seriously.