Reflections, Resolutions, and Resilience: Happy New Year WHS

Nina Kremer, Writer

This past school year has been one of confusion, controversy, challenges, and changes, but most of all, resilience. Old traditions were revamped to comply with Covid-19 restrictions and the community as a whole has felt the stress that the world has on a global scale. But through the darkness of the pandemic, there were many lights that guided us on the path back to normalcy. Despite the challenges, the play, fall sports, student council elections, and Student Santa were all able to stand the test of time. There is so much to reflect on and grieve for, but there is also much to be grateful for and look forward to. The year 2021 was a time for regrouping. It is imperative that we remain hopeful moving forward into the new year, that 2022 will be a year of healing for everyone in Waltham, as well as around the world. 

When asked to write a feature story for the newspaper, this reporter didn’t want to choose just one person to highlight, but instead the entire Waltham High School community, as everyone has had unique experiences and perspectives on these unusual circumstances. Students and teachers alike have been forced to adapt to unprecedented challenges. As the first step in setting good intentions for the new year, students and staff were asked to reflect on what they learned, and what goals they are setting for themselves in the coming year.

One major change that students had to deal with this year was going from fully remote, to fully in person after months off of school. Gates, a sophomore, said she struggled with this transition because she “had to try to regain any sense of a work ethic, which is very difficult because [she] started high school online, then hybrid and to now, fully in person, so it has been a lot of social changes with friends and time management and all that.” But she still had a positive take away from the experience because “being fully in person has positively impacted [her] more than hybrid or online.” 

Teachers were also impacted by this change in similar ways because thier students were struggling to complete thier work, and teachers were also behind as a result. Ms. Basinger said, “I feel a sense of urgency to get my students caught up for lost time. Conversely, I have been able to cover less material. Normally, by this time of year, I will have completed three or four books with my English classes. Currently, I am just finishing my first book.” Due to this difficulty, Ms. Lindstrom has been “starting to adopt a new grading policy based on ‘Grading for Equity.’” But she notes that at least one good thing came out of all of the changes to the schedule, Hawk Block! This has been beneficial for both students and teachers as Ms. Lindstrom said, “using Hawk Block for feedback is so much more effective than spending hours writing notes on students’ papers.”

Despite the struggles, there were still many positive pieces of advice learned from this year. Ms. Rafferty said she learned, “that it’s okay to step away.” Ms. Basinger said, “Life can change abruptly at any minute, so appreciate the gifts you are given!” Ms. Egirous said, “Slow down and enjoy life.” And Chris, a sophomore, said he learned the importance of prioritizing his mental health. 

Going into the new year, Gates’s resolution is to get a job so that she can become more responsible, and learn about saving money. Chris said he wants to focus on improving his grades. Alice, a sophomore, said she wants to push herself to become a more productive student. The teachers had different opinions when it came to resolutions for the new year. Ms. Rafferty said, “I do not choose a resolution as I find most of them are typically rooted in guilt or something that is unattainable. Therefore, for 2022 I will be mindful to do what brings me joy in life and to make more time for those things.” 

2021 was a time when everyone learned that asking your friends for help is more than okay. Both students and teachers leaned on each other as well as their loved ones for support. Ms. Rafferty would like to thank her colleagues, “Mr. Hacker, Ms. McCathy, Ms. Lopes, Ms. Basinger, Ms. Waldron-Par, Ms. Fay, and Ms. Perna” for their support. Ms. Basinger agrees that she is “fortunate to have” such “supportive faculty friends.” Alice thanks her friends for their support, and Chris says he has no one to thank but himself for persevering through the challenges. Great job Chris!

As for what they are looking forward to, both Gates and Ms. Rafferty are excited about the warmer weather that comes with summer vacation. And congratulations are in order for Ms. Lindstrom who is looking forward to “welcoming a newborn in January!” So overall, both students and teachers are excited for the year ahead and the fresh start that we all have been anticipating for so long. May this year bring unity and positivity to our school, and provide an opportunity for growth and change worldwide.