Our Black History

Our Black History

Hanz Louis, Staff Writer

A Look Into Black History

Black History Month is a time to appreciate the efforts and sacrifices of those who battled for justice and equality and to also celebrate the accomplishments of great people who have impacted the world. Black History Month is a meaningful way to raise our awareness and celebrate every February, but we should reflect on the long history and amazing accomplishments made by African Americans for both our country and the rest of the world throughout the year. 

As a black person writing this article, I knew most of these people and what they did, but there are some that I needed to research, and they did amazing things that go unrecognized. So to honor their legacy, I decided to write this so our generation and future generations can fight for racial justice and make a change so that everyone is equal.

— Hanz Louis

W.E.B Du Bois 

From 1868 to 1963, W.E.B. Du Bois was a well known African American sociologist, historian and civil rights activist. He was a important figure in the early civil rights movement and the first Black American to receive a Phd from Harvard University. Du Bois played a major role in the Pan African Movement and helped cofound the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). Du Bois is known as one of the most influential figures in American history, and he wrote a lot about themes of race, injustice and social justice including his incredibly popular book “The Souls of Black People.”

Quote: “A system cannot fail those who it never meant to protect.”

Toussaint L’Ouverture

A successful slave uprising against French colonial power in Haiti was led by Haitian leader Toussaint L’Ouverture. He was born into slavery but was freed, he grew to be a military strategist, and governor. He freed the Haitian people from their chains and defeating the French troops, he helped create Haiti as the first independent black country in human history. People are still inspired by his legacy as a rebel and a liberator today. Unfortunately, he was imprisoned in France and passed away a year later, so his story ends there before any change could be made.

Quote: “It is easy to cut down the tree of liberty, but no so easy to restore it to life.”

Nelson Mandela

Nelson Mandela was a South African politician, lawyer, and activist who fought against the apartheid system. He also became the first black president of South Africa in 1994. He also spent 27 years in prison for opposing apartheid and its laws. Mandela spent almost all his life fighting for the South African people to be free. He really inspired the whole world through his acts of nonviolent protest. Unfortunately, Mandela is not alive today. He died in 2013 because of a respiratory infection. His messages of hope have kept a whole nation from destroying itself.

Quote: “A winner is a dreamer who never gives up.”

Malcom X

Malcom Little was born on May 19, 1925, to a Baptist family in Omaha, Nebraska. Malcolm’s father, Earl Little, was also an activist like Malcom. He was in the UNIA (Universal Nergo Improvement Association). When Malcom was only six years old, his father allegedly killed himself, and his mother was sent to a mental institution. Malcom was put in a foster home because no one could take care of him. Malcom kept moving around until he moved to Boston with his siblings. Malcolm dropped out of middle school and found work as a shoe shiner, drug dealer, gambler, and burglar. But Malcom was arrested and served a 10 year sentence. Malcom’s brother wanted to teach Malcom about Islam and make him convert. Malcom decided not to research Islam. He found the works of Eijlah Muhammad and began to study their works. After Malcom was released, Malcom decided to fully convert to Islam, and he also met up with Elijah. Malcom decided to shed the last name Little. Because he thought it was a slave name and also because that’s the brand the slaves would get on their arms. He had also by this point joined the NOI (National Organization of Islam). Malcom became the minister and spokeswoman for the NOI. But he decided to leave the NOI because of the allegations made against Elijah. He felt guilty for leading these people into this. But after this, he still preached to people about freedom and human rights. But he was unfortunately killed on February 21, 1965. He was shot 15 times. This story is really tragic, and he really tried to help black people all over the world get freedom. But he was killed before he could make a real big change.

Quote: “A man who stands for nothing will fall for something.”

Oprah Winfrey 

Oprah was born in Kosciusko, Mississippi, on January 29, 1954. Her parents, Vernita Lee and Vernon Winfrey, separated, and she was left in the care of her grandmother. She lived on a farm with her grandmother, and Oprah’s favorite thing to do was play with farm animals. Then, at the age of six, she was sent to live with her mother in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. She moved again in her early teens to Nashville, and she also received a scholarship to Tennessee State University. In her freshman year, she was offered a job at CBS, but she turned it down multiple times. And in 1984, she hosted the AM Chicago talk show. And in 1986, she earned several Emmy awards. Oprah launched a magazine called O, the Oprah in 2004. She sponsored tons of charities, and she even funded a school for disadvantaged girls in South Africa in 2007. She helped a bunch of girls in South Africa who never had a chance of being like Oprah or some other powerful black figure. She helped them get a high level of education. In 2018, she wrote and performed a speech about racial and gender equality. Over her whole career, she has written about 21 books. She has changed a whole lot of people’s lives, and with her talk show, she has brought a lot of serious topics to light. 

Quote: “When you undervalue what you do, the world will undervalue who you are.”