The Eyes of The Hawk

Hadiyyah Nabbumba

Jack Renaud WHS ’23

Felicha Nicolas, Staff Writer

Waltham High School fosters a variety of preposterously talented students. One of these exceptional students is senior Hadiyyah Nabbumba. I spoke with Nabbumba about her experience being one of the school’s go-to photographers.

When asked how her final year of high school was shaping up, she reported that things were “okay”, as she and many of her senior peers attempt to find the happy medium between work, school, and extracurriculars.

Nabbumba photographs many of the high school’s sporting events. When asked what the catalyst for this interest was, she revealed that her good friend Jack Renaud (pictured above) introduced her to the world of athletic photography. The two took the elective, commonly known as “TV” together for the last four years. The spark that ignited this journey was Renaud’s participation in a football camp that he was unable to photograph. That’s when he contacted his trusted friend, Hadiyyah.

Nabbumba’s passion lies in capturing raw, authentic moments. She thoroughly enjoys taking photos for significant events and games—as these are what she calls ‘the most candid shots.’

— Felicha Nicolas

Nabbumba’s passion lies in capturing raw, authentic moments. She thoroughly enjoys taking photos for significant events and games—as these are what she reports to be, “the most candid shots.” However, she is also willing to produce all types of photography. It brings her true serenity to see her photos reposted on social media. She appreciates the recognition of her work, however, ponders over whether or not people notice the person behind the camera. Her portfolio consists of action shots on the field, court, and the motion that peers break into on the dance floor. 

The ask coming from Nabbumba is that people understand that there are no extrinsic motivations that compel her to do this work. She takes photos because she loves the hobby and loves the results that the hobby produces. As for her future expeditions, she plans to launch her own photography website. Currently, the senior has an Instagram account composed of a myriad of photos that can be found on @hadiyyahstudios.

As viewers, it’s easy to look at a beautiful image and appreciate the quality or the vividness of the moment encapsulated. But sometimes the pursuit can be easily forgotten or undermined. Waltham High School is permeated with a talented student body. Such as those that capture the photos of our student-athletes and community. 

Nabbumba is an example of the eyes of the Hawk as she time and time again captures the Hawk pride that does exist within our student body/school community.

— Felicha Nicolas

Nabbumba is an example of the eyes of the Hawk as she time and time again captures the Hawk pride that does exist within our student body/school community. And she wants us all to know that she’s not the only one doing this work. Her peers Jack Renaud, and many others, take time out of their schedules to produce and expose beautiful photos for us to consume.