Counting the days to June

Counting the days to June

Katie Morales, Staff Writer

Are you counting the days to June? As we approach the end of the school year, it’s important to reflect on the year… the football team had the best record in decades, the cheer team won States AGAIN, Homecoming for the first time (for the whole school) since COVID, another Dance Theatre production rocked the stage, we gathered for pep rallies and protests (remember the Student Walkout), plus so much more. It’s no wonder this year flew by. 

In the fall the football and cheer team were hard at work every day and it paid off in the end. With the best record for the football team the program has ever seen, along with the support of amazing fans, the team came just short of being eligible to play in the state tournament. As for the cheer team, coming off an amazing season from last year, they were looking to protect their title this year. With a few bumps in the road, the well-accomplished team came out on top for the second time in the last two years. We also experienced an all-school Homecoming that was new for the entire student body (apart from the seniors who experienced one their freshman year). I think it goes without saying that it was refreshing to see everyone dressed up and almost back to normal, the way things were before COVID. 

Summer is right around the corner! Hang in there, the 2022-2023 school year will be over before you know it. And you’ll want to cherish every moment.

— Katie Morales

In the winter, we welcomed new seasons for the basketball and hockey teams arguably the two most successful sports programs at Waltham High School and throughout the season we often filled the student fan section to the brim. While the hockey team didn’t advance to the state tournament, we still had hope for the Basketball team. Ending their season in the Elite 8, the basketball team made program history, advancing the farthest they’ve ever gone in decades.  With the last game being green out for St. Paddy’s Day, the game ultimately came down to the last shot and North Andover made it. The team played their hearts out, and we thanked our seniors in the best way we know how, through tears and embraces. We also put on another Dance Theatre production this year that generated widespread excitement as well as enjoyment with new dances as well as favorites from last year’s show.

This spring, we look to our baseball and lacrosse teams in carrying out our Hawk Pride for the end of the school year. We also look forward to the junior and senior proms that are taking place in the coming weeks. The red carpet, beep day, and senior commemoration night are also all in the near future. 

We only have one more month of school. We prepare to say goodbye to our beloved seniors and wish them the best of luck in whatever endeavors they pursue in their life after high school. If you’re looking for a sign to keep doing your absolute best in school, this is it. Summer is right around the corner! Hang in there, the 2022-2023 school year will be over before you know it. And you’ll want to cherish every moment.