Cheer Champions

Cheer+Champions

Katie Morales, Staff Writer

This past November, the Waltham High Varsity Cheerleading team won the state competition for the 3rd time in the history of the program. November 20th, 2022, marked the second consecutive year in a row that the Large Coed Team won the Fall State Championship. 

The first time Waltham’s Varsity Cheer team won states was the fall of 2016, under Division 2 (all girl). There were 16 on the mat then, as opposed to 15 now. Of those 16, there were 10 juniors.

Lauren Ellison, who happens to be the JV competition coach now, shared some insight on her junior cheer season. “Winning States is 1010% the best feeling. All the hard work throughout the summer and during the season paid off when we won. There’s no feeling like it.” Lauren was also present at the Fall 2021 State competition, as well as this year’s. “I was proud of them to say the least. I think the first time they won, in 2021 was the most exciting because the team hadn’t won since my junior year but this year meant more to them.” 

This team experienced numerous trials and tribulations throughout the duration of the Fall 2022 season. From the beginning of training during the summer to the practices every day after school, the varsity team worked diligently despite any hardships they encountered. 

Both this year and last year the team went up against Haverhill’s Varsity Large Coed team. Both years the team fell just short of the Waltham Hawks, but they were always right behind them at other invitational competitions leading up to the regional and state championships. 

This year at states, they were unfortunately a couple of hiccups throughout the routine. This led to a tremendous amount of doubt on the outcome of the competition as Waltham walked off the mat. After Haverhill’s a flawless performance, the fans and team were struggling to keep their hopes up. 

Thankfully, awards were soon after their performance and there wasn’t much of a wait for the results. WHS alumni, students, administrators, and families patiently waited as the winners of the different divisions were announced. 

In the end, the Waltham Hawks ended up taking home the State Championship title. Not only was this a proud accomplishment for the team and program, but the individual athletes were ecstatic as well. Most of the team competed on varsity last year, with only two new additions, junior Isabella Massa and sophomore Jenna Carlson. It goes without saying that it’s difficult to win once, but even more so stay ahead of the competition and continue winning.

Every athlete has explained winning states as “an indescribable feeling, there’s nothing like it.” 

Cheerleading is often overlooked and categorized as an extracurricular activity, when in reality the sport is one of the most fast-paced, physically demanding, and mentally challenging sports. It’s been recognized by numerous media outlets that the sport is both extremely difficult and equally dangerous. Still, cheerleading isn’t always taken as seriously as hockey or lacrosse.

Coach Kerrie Blanchard has made it her mission to build this amazing program that is Waltham High Cheer. With bonds and friendships that last a lifetime, memories you’ll never forget, and moments like these you’ll cherish forever, it’s safe to say that the team is more than a group of athletes, but a family. No family is perfect, but at the end of the day, this group of student athletes will always be family forever. 

In the new year, the team aspires to bring yet another state win back to Waltham. While the team will not be competing at Nationals in Florida this March, they are still practicing and gearing up for the 2023 season. The athletes are more motivated than ever to protect their title and win not only for themselves and each other, but for their coach. They look forward to continuing their work in the off season and welcoming new athletes to the team this fall.