Student Santa

Johanna Moynihan, Staff Writer

Happy Holidays from WHS Adaptive Drama

Throughout classrooms, teachers’ whiteboards show fun charts such as money thermometers with a large total they hope to reach. Representatives of each homeroom, encourage their classmates to donate any amount of money to help their assigned child. A Christmas Waltham High tradition since 1984, homerooms, clubs, sports, Waltham High School Alumni, and local restaurants are assigned a child with an age and gender. With the money raised, the Student Santa representatives spend their time shopping for appropriate gifts.

In a recent interview with Dr. John Cox, who helped to start the program, I learned more about the program.

Moynihan: How long has the Student Santa program been a tradition here at WHS?

Dr. Cox: The Student Santa program started in 1984 and has continued on even in the pandemic years.

Moynihan: Could you explain Student Santa’s origin? 

Dr. Cox: Well I was having dinner with advisor Mr. Goodwin, current student William Hunt’s grandfather and we were trying to think of ways to give back to the community. Mr. Goodwin’s wife was helping her Scout troop buy gifts for local families in need, and that sparked the Student Santa Program. In our first year we had 46 homerooms participate and then it took off from there. This year, considering the economy, Student Santa is serving 360 and families. Every single student on our receiving list is from Waltham, nowhere else. It is the only program where it seems like every student at WHS gets involved. It’s also unique to WHS. Many community partners still get involved like Shoppers Cafe on Moody Street who will host reunion night and alumni have to  bring a gift for Student Santa.

Moynihan: Who does Student Santa serve? I recall in middle school, Student Santa serving kids in the hospital…

Dr. Cox: The high school Student Santa has always served low income families. Kennedy Middle School shopped for kids in the hospital. Student Santa mainly serves low-income families in Waltham.

Moynihan: What is your favorite part of the Student Santa tradition?

Dr. Cox: My favorite day is the Student Santa day, the day of the assembly. It really unifies the whole school and overall is a happy day. I also believe seeing the families faces, when they come to St. Jude’s to pick up the gifts is magical.

I also chatted with Jamie Shumacher, the National Honor Society’s president, who, after being asked what he thought about this year’s experience, said, “It’s been good. There is a lot of shopping getting done and I am very excited for Thursday’s Assembly.”

The Student Santa assembly begins with homerooms wrapping their gifts and is followed by a winter holiday performance by the school’s orchestra, band, and choirs as well as a surprise visit from Santa. What’s fascinating about Student Santa, is that multiple kids sitting in Thursday’s assembly have greatly benefited from the program without completely realizing it. As a senior, I think the participation, to Dr. Cox’s point, is heartwarming. I look forward to keeping this Student Santa tradition alive as a WHS alumni, whether that is “adopting” a Waltham kid or donating $25 to a former classmate’s assigned child.

Student Santa es un programa que compra y envuelve regalos para familias de bajos ingresos en Waltham. Cada representante obtiene una edad y un género y luego compra adecuadamente. Ayuda a difundir la alegría navideña.