Racism In Schools

Laila Rodene

Kids can be cruel. They can be homophobic, prejudice, bullies, and they can be racist. Of course, not everyone likes to hold their children accountable. “Kids will be kids” and all that. But it still hurts. 

Unfortunately, I can guarantee that every black or non-white student has experienced racism while in schools. Whether it be elementary, middle, or high school. Possibly even pre-k. 

Yeah, racism is very easily found in schools. Private or not. 

Racism in schools is just as offensive and harmful as it is outside of school. It hurts the child’s feelings just as much and definitely leaves a huge impact that they’ll remember for years. It isn’t always just students either. Teachers can experience racism while working at a school and can also be the perpetrator as well. 

Racism in the education system can be as extreme as lynchings and assaults to as low as slur calling and conversational microaggressions. As someone who has been to a Predominantly White School (PWI), and lived in a predominantly white area, I can sadly say that I’ve experienced Blackface, Slur calling, racial profiling, and more. All in one year, at the ripe age of 12-13. Now what I’ve seen happen to other people in that year… that’s another story.

Sure, some students might not be aware that what they’re saying/doing is wrong. But that speaks to what their home life is like. I’ve had my own friends invite me over to their house and have me sneak past certain family members’ rooms because they themselves and their PARENTS knew how awful that person can be. 

DO NOT START INTERRACIAL FRIENDSHIPS IF YOUR FAMILY IS RACIST. 

Now don‘t get me wrong, nothing is wrong with interracial friendships. But if you are aware that your family might not approve or will treat your friend with complete and utter disrespect, you need to be the bigger person and stop talking to that friend. There should be no reason why you’re putting someone you trust in DANGER. “They’re just old. Ignore them” should not be said! A situation can be avoided very easily and you’re choosing to ignore that. That makes you just as responsible. You should never allow your friend to feel uncomfortable while in your presence let alone your home. You’re supposed to do anything to prevent that.

Racism isn’t cute. Stereotyping isn’t funny. Culture appropriation isn’t trendy. 

Not being racist is as easy as not bullying someone. Not commenting on someone’s social status, home life, physical state, etc. If someone has come to you and said that your actions/words have made them feel uncomfortable, you need to acknowledge that. Accept it and apologize. If you can’t realize that what you’ve done is wrong, then you need to do one thing with yourself. Grow. Up.  

It’s the 21st century. Living by old stupid standards is as dumb as wearing no shirt in the winter. Hating someone because of what they look like is idiotic. It’s brainless. Foolish, dimwitted, dense, dopey, obtuse, I can go on and on. Racism in schools needs to stop. You shouldn’t be spending your time commenting on someone’s culture and looks when you should be doing your work and focusing on your own problems at home. There is no excuse for racism. You can’t have a bad day and decide to call someone a Ni**er or tell them to go back where you came from. You can’t just get grounded and use that as an excuse to mock someone’s language or make fun of their racial facial features. You decided to do that on your own. 

Before I say goodbye, I’d like to share a few stories I was able to get from a few people from this school and in other cities. Just to show you how cruel it can get.

“I think it was in kindergarten when I experienced my first racially motivated conflict. Someone had been stealing school supplies and the teacher automatically accused me. I was the only black kid in the class. I got in a lot of trouble before the teacher realized it couldn’t have been me. I didn’t even get an apology.” 

“Blackface is very popular in my school. At a Halloween dance a group of these white boys came dressed up as different races. Not one punishment was delivered.” 

“I was called a stupid n**ger in the first grade by my homeroom teacher. I believe he’s the assistant principal now.” 

“I was bullied a lot in the fourth grade. I had an accent seeing as Spanish was my first language. One day I walked into the boys locker room and everyone chanted  “go back to where you came from.” Everyone then laughed it off and walked out onto the field and practiced like nothing happened. I will never forget the coach laughing at that.” 

“I had this white boyfriend. We both grew up in a small town where Racism isn‘t uncommon. Every now and then I’ll be at the park and some old man will make racist jokes about my Asian family. Anyway, one day I was at a family dinner with my boyfriend. Everything was going fine until his grandfather pulled his eyes back in the middle of me explaining something. He laughed and influenced my boyfriend’s little brothers to do the same. The two of them pulled their eyes back and mimicked me for 5 minutes before I decided to just leave. I never said a word to anyone about that. Even if I dealt with it almost every other day. I guess the racism being so close to home hit a nerve.”  

I received a few more stories but those are just some of the most common experiences that some have shared. So again, Racism isn’t cute. Stereotyping isn’t funny. Culture appropriation isn’t trendy. Think before you speak because I, like others, do not tolerate it.