Should the Mask Mandate Stay Lifted or Should It Be Reinstated?

Darlene Dubon, Writer

Monday the 7th of March, the mask mandate in Waltham Public Schools has been lifted, and now it is optional if you want to wear it or not.  There are a lot of people that are glad that it has been lifted, but there are a lot of other people that don’t agree it should be lifted yet while Covid is still not gone completely and there are still cases around the world. It all happened on December 12th, 2019, the outburst of coronavirus, the beginning of it, everyone was quarantined in their home for a very long time and students were doing online school for the past two years. The new vaccine that we have in 2022 wasn’t created yet in 2019, and after two years passed, students started going back to school in person, Covid was still not gone completely, but everyone had to start wearing masks everywhere and were able to get vaccinated. That’s how we were able to go back to school with other students and teachers and not have to be virtual anymore. It was a really big change for everyone after so long seeing each other in person again. 

I have talked to a few of the students that attend Waltham High School and got their opinion on the mask mandate being lifted. A few students do not agree that the mask mandate should be lifted. They said, “I do not really think it is a good idea to be lifting the mask mandate yet and becoming optional. There are a lot of people that will disagree with me, but Covid is still not gone and I have a feeling that removing the masks will increase Covid.” Another student I interviewed shared a different opinion said, “The mask mandate lifting is a good thing, people can finally see their other friend’s faces and able to hear others more clearly in class. It also lets people breathe more easily. Of course, Covid isn’t gone completely, but we still practice social distancing between each other, and if you are sick, stay home until you are fine.”

A lot of students will feel more comfortable and safer with their mouth and nose covered, not ready to attend school maskless, and just feel weird without wearing a mask. It’s like they are naked in a way with the mask off. For others, it will cause discomfort, and already being vaccinated, they want to be able to leave the masks behind. A lot of students miss their old life without wearing a mask, they miss being able to hear stuff being said clearly, and getting to see the smiles on their friend’s faces and teachers. There shouldn’t be anyone judging others:  if they want to wear it or not, as long as they are being safe and still remembering Covid is not completely gone yet. Everything should be okay, but there will always be opinions, agreements, and disagreements. How do you feel about it? Here is a link where you can pick an answer or state your own opinion. Mask Form