Unified Hawks!

Unified+Hawks%21

Connor Smith, Writer

About 3 years ago, Kevin Niceforo, a paraprofessional in the TASK program here at Waltham High School, was approached by Steve Laforest, Waltham’s Athletic Director, about creating a Unified Basketball Program. Mr. Niceforo listened as he created the school’s first-ever Unified Basketball team, where he has been the coach for the past 3 years. 

Before diving into the team itself, let’s talk about the whole idea of Unified Basketball. The idea of unified sports became introduced to the world in 1991, and ever since has taken off in popularity. “A primary goal of Unified Sports is to equalize the ability level of Special Olympics athletes with their partners and to promote inclusion through team practice and competition” (Special Olympics of MA). The program includes both players with special needs and non-special needs kids on the same team. This builds friendships, confidence, and inclusion for the kids who may have not been included in activities growing up. 

In unified sports, it’s not all about the wins and losses, but more about having fun. When I talked to some of the players, they all seemed to just enjoy how fun it is to be playing basketball with their friends and just having a great time. Win or lose, the players always keep a great attitude towards each other and their opponents. 

In 2019 the team was recognized for the sportsmanship award where they demonstrated high levels of sportsmanship, positive attitude, and ethics. Mr. Niceforo told me he was beyond proud of the award and how much it meant for the team. The award is currently in the trophy display case downstairs in the gym foyer.

The unified team played multiple games this year, none more important than the showdown this Friday, March 18th, where they take on the WHS staff. This will be the final game of the season. We wish our unified hawks the best of luck this Friday as they look to take down the WHS staff! Let’s show our support for the unified hawks!!!