Cross Country and Alpine Ski Teams Prepare for an Exciting Season

Cassandra Doyle and

Did you know Waltham High School has a ski team? Our ski team is a cooperative team also known as a co-op. We train and compete alongside Lexington High School, meaning that we are on the same team. Although there are only about 4 Waltham students on the team with the addition of Lexington students there is a total of about 40 students. The team typically trains at Blue Hills in Milton. They race often, competing against 12 teams every race. The ski team captains all go to Lexington High School so we were incapable of interviewing them. 

We also interviewed members of the cross country skiing team. Our cross country ski team is also a co-op team with Weston. This year there are roughly 30 people on the team. They ski at the Leo J. Martin golf course in Weston. They compete often, they have 5 competitions this year! 

The team, which was created five years ago already has lots of traditions and quirks. The members often joke that they are the “Waltham-Weston Ultimate Frisbee Team” , said captain Ella Wozek.  because of their frequent frisbee games that end their practices. 

The team has a tight bond. Last year after the season ended they continued having optional practices for members who wanted to continue, which had very good attendance and continued into early March.

Be sure to check out these amazing winter sports and stay in touch with their season!