Food Shortage And Price Increases

Food Shortage And Price Increases

Darlene Dubon, Staff Writer

November and December both have holidays going on and during those times people have dinners with their families. This year 2021, you must have heard people talking about how they can barely find things in the store nowadays, or prices going crazy high! When Covid-19 appeared in 2019/2020, it spread super fast and we all had to go into lockdown, and quarantine. It really hit the world economy a lot, disrupting supply chains and causing a lot of delays in shipping. There were many items in short supply and the cost of shipping was going very high, that meant prices were increasing a lot. Many basic foods that people purchase have become more expensive, such as, eggs, meat, bread, milk, as well as a lot of necessities you need in your home like toilet paper, kitchen paper, feminine care products, and diapers.

There are a lot of negative consequences due to prices going up, and a very important one is how a lot of low-income families are especially affected. During Covid-19 a lot of people lost their jobs and some still are trying to get jobs again. People already struggled with the prices before and even more now, and getting supplies for their kids. One Waltham High School student who related to this increasing stress said, “Before I didn’t worry much about the price whenever I went grocery shopping because I could afford it since it wasn’t so expensive, but now I have to keep a budget ’cause anything you buy now is extremely expensive and you have to be wary sometimes about it.”

This year’s Thanksgiving was more expensive, perhaps the most expensive. Getting items to cook and finding the things you need proved more stressful than ever. Turkey prices were very expensive and they were not easy to find in stores.

Christmas is coming soon and along with anticipation for the holiday is more anxiety about costs and availability. Christmas dinner will be expensive this year. The typical cost has risen by 3.4% as food prices are increasing. With winter coming, it’s starting to get chilly and there is the risk of  snow, people have suggested to start stocking more food in your home, like canned foods, water, toilet paper, and kitchen paper, hygiene products , any basic stuff you’d need. It’s  important to have those things with you if anything ever happened. There’s no official food shortage, only prices going up, but it’s always good to have extra stuff you need.

People have started couponing since prices went up. It’s actually smart because it can save you a lot of money and let you stock up on things. All these things are important and people should be aware but not get worried since it’s not severe, but always still be prepared.

Hopefully everyone gets to enjoy this upcoming Christmas season and be grateful for many things!