2021 WHS Cheerleaders Bring Home The State Championship Trophy After 5 Years

Annalia Torcasio, Staff writer

On November 21, 2021, the exceptional 16 Waltham High School varsity cheerleaders ranging from freshmen to seniors stepped onto the mat at Worcester State University to compete in a co-ed division with one goal in mind: no regrets. They were allowed 2 minutes and 30 seconds to give it their all, and they hit their routine flawlessly from start to finish, earning them a score of 87/100.  

When it was announced that the cheerleaders had won first place in their division, they leaped up in excitement and embraced each other as the army of red-clothed Waltham superfans in the bleachers went wild, everyone in awe of their achievement. They became the 2nd Waltham High cheer team to win a state championship, five years after the winning group of WHS cheerleaders in 2016. 

Kerrie Blanchard, the coach of the Waltham cheerleaders stated in a Facebook post after their winning day, “I woke up this morning and still can’t believe it. I am so, so excited for all of you. What an amazing accomplishment. Proud is an understatement. You will cherish this moment forever! All that hard work, hours of practice, and tears paid off. Congratulations to all of you on an incredible season that was over in the blink of an eye.” Blanchard built a team that has developed in strength and unity over the season. She taught them how to be strong cheerleaders as well as independent individuals, and she continues to encourage them to push themselves and use their abilities to their greatest potential. 

Not only was Kerrie Blanchard thrilled over her team’s victory but many of the cheerleaders on the varsity team had a lot to say as well. Two of the team captains who have been great leaders shared their voices and wanted to tell us a little about the feelings before and after competing. Cheer Co-Captain Michelle Butler said that the feeling of winning a high school state championship was incredible and she’s grateful to be able to graduate as a state champion. Butler stated “The sweat, tears, long practices, and hard work all become worth it when you end your season as a champion. Prior to the routine, I felt nervous but confident. I knew what we were capable of and I knew we would give it our all.” Cheer Co-Captain Mya Thibodeau shared, “It was the best feeling in the world when they announced us as state champions. I was confident and had no doubt in my mind that we could potentially get second because we all did our jobs. I’m proud to say that I’m a state champion and no one can ever take that away.” After four years at WHS, the senior girls have worked hard to achieve their goal of graduating as state champs, and as captains, they are very appreciative for earning their spots on the team and leading their teammates along the way. 

With all of the pressure building up to states, the new freshmen girls on varsity were especially nervous. Jenna Snow is one of the few freshmen on varsity and said, “I got chills everywhere and there was like this energy in the room and after our routine hit I knew we won and I was just like pushing as hard as I could. It felt good to win especially as a freshman.” Sabrina Siciliano is a freshman center flyer who is the make-or-break of the stunt and the main focus. She’s worked as hard as everyone on the team to earn her spot but there’s a lot of pressure that comes with being a significant part of the stunt routine. Siciliano said, “At first it was scary because I was just this little freshman and the older girls had so much power over me, it was scary at first but the girls were so nice and welcoming.” 

Many newcomers on the team feel this pressure at first, but the upperclassmen on the team have always been extremely welcoming to the underclassmen and treat everyone, including freshmen, as their teammates. Siciliano also stated, “ It was scary at comp and I was crying before we went on and I was nervous because my stunt didn’t hit in warm-ups, but when we went on the adrenaline was crazy and the crowd was so crazy, once we hit I knew we won because Haverhill dropped their stunts.” Haverhill High, their top competitor which has yet to beat the Waltham High cheerleaders.

Many individuals are unfamiliar with competitive cheering. They mistakenly associate sideline cheerleading with competitive cheerleading, leading them to believe it’s “uncomplicated”, but it’s in fact very complicated and very strenuous. You need to be good in a number of skills, including tumbling, stunting, jumping, dancing, and performing, among many other things. The cheerleaders train six days a week for many hours. With so much dedication put into it, winning states is such a fulfilling experience and achievement that many people don’t fully understand because of their flawed perception of cheerleading.

Any advice for anyone wanting to join the team? Well yes! “Students wanting to join the team should get involved. It is important to put the effort in to perfect these skills and learn from our amazing coaches, alumni, and athletes. There are tumbling and stunting classes offered and occasional clinics. A major part of not only competitive cheerleading but also sideline cheerleading is SPIRIT! We are the heart and soul of Hawk Pride. You have to prioritize being an exemplary student and role model,” Butler says. 

The cheerleaders not only build close connections with one another over the season, but they also become a family. They worked hard during practice, and when something didn’t hit or their routine wasn’t flawless, they returned the next day with an even stronger will to work harder. That will, in the end, truly shows everyone what they’re all about.