A Student’s Thanksgiving

A Students Thanksgiving

Cassandra Doyle, Staff Writer

This week is Thanksgiving! As the holiday grows nearer we take time to reflect on what we are thankful for and of course, what we are excited to eat! 

In a survey we tested to see which Thanksgiving foods were the most popular among students, mashed potatoes won with a 60% majority, claiming their spot as the most popular Thanksgiving food. Our runner up earned a 20% minority, mac and cheese. Next in line with 10% of students each is cranberry and stuffing.

We asked students and staff why they did not vote for turkey as their favorite Thanksgiving food. WHS teacher Holly Brouilette said, “Turkey is honestly one of my least favorite parts of the Thanksgiving meal.” When discussing the results of the survey sophomore Nataly Clary shared her love for mashed potatoes, “I chose mashed potatoes because mashed potatoes have a good consistency, they have a good flavor and they’re an amazing side dish,” she said.

Other students talked about how their family celebrates Thanksgiving. WHS sophomore Angelo Reyes-Rivera shared his family’s tradition of making hispanic dishes, “I guess I would just like to try a real Thanksgiving dinner,” he said. Students were very enthusiastic in interviews, talking about their favorite foods with gusto. Taimiere Asbury, a sophomore, shared his favorite foods, “Mac and cheese, brown sugar ham, food in general,” he said. Olivia Rayne, sophomore, shared her favorites also, “I love squash and stuffing,” she attested. A sophomore who asked to remain anonymous said they preferred a rather bizarre Thanksgiving dessert, “Brownies on Thanksgiving, they’re good, brownies on any holiday.”

We also tested to see how many student’s families were hosting. We discovered that 60% of students were hosting while 40% were not. When we asked students if they were excited for their days off, the results were not surprising with every student we surveyed answering affirmatively. 

Plans during the break range from staying at home to traveling around the country. Asbury says he plans to visit New Jersey or Miami. Emily Acosta, a sophomore, says she plans to visit her extended family in New York. On the other hand some students like sophomore Scarlett Marr are planning to stay at home, “My family is just going to stay here and celebrate at home,” she tells us. Rayne also plans to stay local, “I think we’re just going to chill at the house just with my family.”

Do you agree or disagree with our students? What is your opinion on Thanksgiving? Be sure to comment below the article to share your story!