Need a holiday?!?!

Briana Henderson, Staff Writer

What is the best holiday?

I talked to many students and teachers at Waltham High School about their favorite holiday. I found out that many people view holidays differently. Some people like certain holidays because of family, some because of friends, and some because of

experiences they have had around these holidays. I took a poll about their favorites and these are the results.

Christmas

77.5% of students said Christmas was their favorite holiday.

Christmas is probably the most popular holiday in the country. During this time people get together with family and friends. I have heard of so many different traditions that people do. A lot of people do secret Santa, white elephant, decorating cookies and gingerbread houses, setting up Christmas trees, and so many other things. Christmas is loved because it is a time to give and receive gifts and spread joy with the people around you. One of the students I talked to said Christmas was their favorite holiday because they get to see a lot of their family that they haven’t seen in a while, and they also just like Christmas music.

Halloween

12.5% of students said Halloween was their favorite holiday.

Halloween could be someone’s favorite holiday because you get to decorate your house with your family, carve pumpkins, and go trick or treating or stay home and pass out treats. It’s fun dressing up and going out with friends on halloween.

New Years

5% of students said New Years was their favorite holiday.

New Years is the time where people get to start over. It’s a new start with new goals. Many people make new year resolutions, and it gives them something to look forward to and put their energy into. One student I talked to said that New Years was their favorite holiday because it gave them time to refocus their minds and to figure out what was important to them.

Veterans Day

2.5% of students said Veterans Day was their favorite holiday.

Veterans Day is a day to honor all people that have served time in the military. These people have left their homes and families to join the military and protect us and the country. Many people respect this holiday because a lot of the time veterans aren’t shown enough appreciation for all they do, so this day is time for more people to give appreciation. I have many family members that have been in the military and know how good it makes them feel when I give them a text that day.

Summer Vacation

2.5% of students said summer vacation was their favorite holiday.

I know Summer vacation isn’t a holiday, but for a lot of people it is a time for them to de-stress and unwind from their stressful lives. They get to take a break from the problems in their real lives. Most people visit family, go on vacation, sit at home, get time away from work, and so many other things. That is why so many people think summer is their favorite time of the year.

So the best holiday?

Based on all the people I talked to about their favorite holidays, most people think Christmas is the best holiday. But there was still a wide variety of answers that I received, like Halloween, Veterans’ Day, New Years, and even summer vacation. The people I talked to had varying reasons and stories that made these holidays their favorite. For me I love holidays because it is something to look forward to during the year. It is time away from school and time to relax with the important people in my life. I also get to see a lot of the people that I don’t see often throughout the year. Holidays are the best times of the year!