Waltham High Walks Out

Students hold up signs that read, “Enough is Enough”, “Today We Raise Our Voice”, and “We Stand Together”

Felicha Nicolas, Staff Writer

On October 26th, upwards of 500 students at Waltham High School walked out of the building during their last period class (12:50pm). Students protested against the administration inadequately dealing with incidents of inequity. The Revolutionary Equity Council which is the umbrella organization for the five affinity groups at WHS — Asian Student Union ASU, Black Student Union BSU, Gender and Sexuality Alliance GSA, Jewish Student Union JSU, Latin@ Student Union LSU, and Muslim Student Union MSU — orchestrated this protest.

Event organizer WHS senior Henry’Elle Pierre mentions, “I had no idea how many kids were going to show up or how many people actually cared. But when 12:50pm hit, the floodgates had been opened.” 

One staff member anonymously remarked, “They thought of everything. From the QR codes for SAC assistance in light of the walkout, to exit routes and safety protocols. Everything.”

Student speaker/organizer junior Sonya Patel reported, “When I got up to speak I was so nervous. But when I looked up to see a sea of black, I suddenly knew I could do it.”

A week prior to the walkout lead organizers released a video to social media stating that they would be walking out and ensuring students of their rights. Encouraging those in support of the cause to wear black in solidarity.

REC Leaders have expressed their content with Principal Braggs for his willingness to understand and cooperate with their demands. Those being a (1) System for Reporting & Recording Incidents of Inequity (i.e. racism, homophobia, sexism, xenophobia, transphobia, fatphobia, Islamaphobia, antisemitism), (2)Training in Diversity Equity and Inclusions for teachers to take place during professional development throughout the school year, (3) Transparent system that details consequences for teachers, students, and administrators who do not follow the non discriminatory policy, and (4) Formation of a Restorative Equity Team that connects with student-leaders in REC, teachers, and administrators to form a committee that will track data collected in the System for Reporting & Recording Incidents of Inequity

One of the biggest comments I’m hearing is that we’re generalizing the voices of BIPOC. However, even if there was only one student that felt unsafe or unwelcome in this school, that would still be worthy of a walkout. It doesn’t have to be all, even some is too far. And unless you’ve talked to every BIPOC student at this school, ‘generalization’ is a faulty argument.

— Anonymous WHS Student on the protest’s Task Force

mentioned prior, connect with students who experience or perpetrate incidents of inequity to, and to make suggestions for change.

“One of the biggest comments I’m hearing is that we’re generalizing the voices of BIPOC. However, even if there was only one student that felt unsafe or unwelcome in this school, that would still be worthy of a walkout. It doesn’t have to be all, even some is too far. And unless you’ve talked to every BIPOC student at this school, ‘generalization’ is a faulty argument,” said anonymously by a student on the protest’s task force.

What many are unaware of is that in May of 2017 Waltham High School had a sit-in protest in regards to a similar cause. Melissa Nicolas, elder sibling of organizer Felicha Nicolas, had a hand in assembling the 2017 protest. She states, “I had to deal with it at my age, and it’s so crazy to see my younger sister experiencing the exact same thing I did. ”

According to the organizers they felt they conducted the protest in what they described as “an unconventional way.” Students involved in facilitating the walkout made the decisions to work in alignment with the school. After speaking with student speaker/organizer Mina Alkhafaji she goes on to explain, “We were going to walk out either way, but to ensure that things were conducted in the most productive/safest way possible. We brought it up to the Principal.”

REC has been primarily sharing updates about all walkout-related information on their instagram account @whs.rec.club. Considering the walkout is not school sanctioned nor affiliated REC leaders say that this is the best way to stay posted. According to their first instagram poll people are hoping to see Demand #1 be met first. 

For more updates tune in to their Instagram.