Bored and Stressed? Explore a Student Club!

Laila Rodene, Staff Writer

Bored And Stressed. 

Something that you can’t be at the start of a school year. Being bored and stressed will only drive you insane! And you don’t need that. You need advice, guidance, and balance. The best piece of advice you could get from peers and staff here at Waltham High School, is to get involved. Freshman Associate Principal Dr. Lyons and Principal Ms. Pena completely agrees and encourages it. 

When asked what advice they would offer to incoming freshmen and new students in general, the two school leaders responded with nearly the same answer. Dr. Lyons said, “Get involved, meet people, and build relationships,” and Ms. Pena said, “Make connections with peers, teachers, SACs, and guidance counselors.” 

Getting Involved. Huh. Easier said than done. 

Most students aren’t aware of most clubs or what they’re about. I’m personally in a few clubs and would love to help you find that balance. In the link connected here, you will find a list of clubs and extracurricular activities that the school offers. Although some aren’t as active as others or meet as often, they’re all pretty fun and definitely give you that balance that you need. 

A personal club recommendation from Dr. Lyons, he insists students should join Best Buddies. This club mostly meets once a month during the school year, and meets for a lunch date once a week. The club plans on doing fun activities like pumpkin painting (which already occurred in the WHS Library while a Charlie Brown movie played and cheese doodles were passed around), Secret Student (which is an activity based on secret santa), and more! This club helps neurodivergent students at WHS in the best ways possible. It’s fun and an amazing experience. 

Waltham Partnership for Youth Trailblazers! Another amazing club that focuses on helping others and the community. The WPY Trailblazers have helped organize a ton of activities and events not only for WHS students but also for the community. The WPY Trailblazers are also looking forward to making this school year better in so many ways. They meet every Wednesday in the Library computer lab! Stop by or give Ms. Christmas an email: [email protected]

WHS Sports!

Fall sports are now coming to an end! Winter sports like ice hockey, basketball, track, wrestling, and skiing are now coming and I’m sure many people will enjoy them.

Because fall sports have come to an end, I feel that we should go over everything and hear a few words and opinions from students. (Like Sammy Rizza, Trevor Robillard, and more) It seems that most WHS students find the football games more entertaining than all the other sports. But I politely disagree. The girls soccer team did very well over the past few weeks and I personally have to say that their games are far more intriguing! 

It seems that the one thing that WHS students can agree on is the fact that although our sports teams might not have won as often as we would have liked, the teamwork and sportsmanship that was shown on and off the field was enough to keep everyone happy and entertained and provide that social and educational balance that everyone needs to get through the year. And I think the clubs that I mentioned and are linked below will definitely help with that! Good luck everyone! Don’t stress.